Monday, June 27, 2011

Texas versus The TSA

TSA pat downs are still making the news and a discussion I had today made me think about how ignorant people can be about the things that help ensure our safety.

History has shown us that a commercial airliner can be valuable in many different ways. It can be hijacked and ransomed. It can be used as a means of escape for a criminal or terrorist. It can be used as a deadly weapon. It should be a no-brainer that if an aircraft has been used in these capacities it would be wise to defend that aircraft from evil people posing as common passengers. I don't think the TSA should focus solely on people who may look like the stereotypical Islamic extremist. Evil is not limited to a religious sect or ethnicity, and someone looking to do harm is usually smart enough to try to blend in with those he/she is targeting. 

So, here is the fear that creeps into my head everytime I head to the airport. Anyone who has flown knows that standing in the cattle line waiting to go through security is the biggest barrier to getting a beer before boarding. It is also an easy target for people looking to harm others.

This is why I feel that as long as TSA agents aren't brutally raping people as they pass through the checkpoint we should suck it up and realize that a few seconds of discomfort is far better than the possible alternatives. I could accept an engine problem sending my flight nose first into a sewage lagoon, but I could not accept my life being in the hands of a terrorist or criminal because we didn't want to make someone uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment